Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Vignettes

There were three things I can think of that were unpleasant, from our time in Holland - not at all bad for a three week holiday. The first was a broken friendship the first week, that my friend and I did not even know needed mending - but it is taken care of and our friendship is whole again. The second was an upsetting and frightening incident that took place in Amsterdam, but I won't talk about it here. The third is more silly than unpleasant - in Delft I took something out of my hair, thinking it was a fallen leaf, only to realise I was holding a wasp between my fingers! I then proceeded to jump up and exclaim "oh my gosh" like an obnoxious twelve year old. Hehe.


One of the things I was hoping for our time in Holland was to find out if working there someday was just something I thought was a good idea or if it was something God wants me to do. I still couldn't say finally, but seeing how much I absolutely loved the country (it's been five years since we were last there) and am slowly learning to love the people as well, I think I'm a bit more certain. We stumbled upon a Christian book store in Amsterdam, where we talked to the owner for awhile. It turns out that they do red light and drug ministries, and that there are a lot of little places like them that do as well. How amazing! Though when I first go it will probably just be staying at l'Abri for a few months, next spring or something. l'Abri is still an experience that intrigues me, and I think would be a challenging and growing time - though perhaps not where I would want to end up. And perhaps I won't end up in the Netherlands at all! Maybe my motives are wrong. Maybe I just like Holland itself, or because I love Europe, or because I like European fashion, or because there is blue sky and stunning clouds and rain. Maybe I want to fit in rather than serve - but that isn't true.
Right now only God knows what will happen but I would like clearer leading before...say, Christmas, so I know what's happening in the coming year. Do I stay here first or the second year? Do I go to Yemen for the first half or the second half of the school year? Is the culinary school a whim or a call?
I suppose I'll be thinking a lot of this sort this year.


On another note - I desperately need more art supplies (I'm out of canvases and need acrylic paints) and have been painting and drawing up a storm, hoping to have enough to have a table at the ARTE souk in the next two months. How exciting that would be!

No comments: