Sunday, July 13, 2008

"This one time at bagpipe camp..."

We leave tomorrow! Time has rushed, and I'm not excited per se, to return, but it will be good.
I can't wait to see Dad and my Sunny (who allegedly is tearing up my room).

This will be just a summary - facts post, which photos to follow when we arrive back in Dubai. It's been a crazy time!

I've already written about the visit with Katie - then I flew to Ohio for the games and Scottish arts camp. The Games were fun; I hung out with my friend Erin and we watched celtic rock (Needfire) and our friends' highland dance competitions. Oh, and competed...the reason we were there. I played TERRIBLY and messed up; but placed 5th and 6th in a new, high grade. Not too bad for someone out of practice and expecting only good comment sheets.
Camp itself...pretty indescribable as always. The teaching was amazing. I was in advanced piping and advanced piobaireachd, both of which were beautiful and helpful. Andy Rogers and Reay MacKay were my instructors. I won a scholarship which was very exciting! It slightly increases my chances for getting to go back next year. Four of us piped for the Variety Show to represent the advanced class, which went really well - though we broke tradition and didn't dress up like the wacko pipers that we are.
Relational-wise it was fun; lots of crazy times and mixed up conversations, though by the end of the week it was frustrating because people are, well, disappointingly human! We did have a great time together though. There was a newer girl I was able to try and draw into our little group, though I think she felt a bit intimidated. There was also Gwen, a friendship I intend to keep! We were remarkably similar.
There are a million memories I can't really list or describe, but it was the best week of the year, as usual.

The time in Detroit was great too; visiting friends, having too much coffee (the last two weeks I have lived on coffee and chocolate...camp food not exactly being edible), talking with my best friend Sara, going to Naomi's wedding and seeing lots of old Dubai friends, including Kristen, a very dear friend.
There have been overwhelming things...plans, emotion, thinking about figuring things out for the next year and the future. It's scary but thrilling. Right now I'm me, with no strings attached and it is delightful. I'm not the one in control!

More packing awaits;
Love, Cait

No comments: