Sunday, April 13, 2008

Surge2 Post III - journal

This is where it gets long...my journal from the week, which I’ve typed out (minus the more personal sections).

4 April 08

Well, we’re here...it’s so noisy and colourful and vibrant. And polluted but that’s ok. We’re very at home at the church. I’m in a group of about 6 working in Veeranahalli for 3 of the days. We’ll also be here, at churches, shopping, etc. I’ll try to write a summary most of the time but actual journaling will be in my devotional booklet we’re all doing instead. Nervous but very excited to be here.

5 April 08, 5:20 AM

There’s a stray dog that has been barking outside our (Elaine, Sonja, Elisabeth, my) window for HOURS. It faded once but came back. He’s stranding there under the streetlight giving an oratorio for no apparent cause. Elaine was lying awake wondering if she was the only one who heard it when Elisabeth from beside her muttered “I could kill that dog.” =P So we got up to read our devotion reading (John gave us all a book) and hopefully sleep when the dog leaves. He’s gone again for now.

11:30 or so PM

Today we had a meeting and then worked at the Banaswadi chuch. Drank tea during breaks and played games. My hands are so tired! I spent over an hour scrubbing and scraping one window lattice. There’s paint and cement all over it. Sonja, Elaine and I have been talking a lot and I really like it. Sonja really isn’t too quiet after all! We walked down to the store (very interesting! And the air is actually really clean except for on the street) and came back for dinner. This evening we had a meeting and devotion and prayer time and the last hour as a room the 4 of us have been praying. About us and God and giving our testimonies at church tomorrow. I need sleep =) Hopefully the dog won’t come.

Micah 6:8

Matthew 11:28

6 April 08 2:00 PM or so

This morning me, Elisabeth, Elijah, and Elaine went to the English service here. Then we went to the vernacular service that meets here (everyone was at different churches, some in villages), which consisted of us telling our testimonies through a translator, singing (they clap with absolutely no beat, it’s awesome), THREE sermons, prayer, communion, and offering. 4 hours in all. Then we had lunch. Tonight we’re going out for a more western meal. I’m still hopeless at eating with my hands and am positive the add more spice every time they make the same meal!

- later

We have all been napping. Last night there was a LOUD party next door from practically 1-3 AM. They were playing obnoxious western music and shouting, probably dancing. Suddenly everyone screamed and the music stopped and then eventually resumed. Interesting.

When we went to the store yesterday I saw a horned head statue painted blue on the roof of a house. After commenting on the “cute little Viking guy,” I realised it was a Hindu idol or talisman...Good thing no one else was out there with us!

Just now I washed my hair in a bucket and “showered” with wipes. EW. Feel much better though.

11:00 PM or so

We went to the mall (Jarod and Isaac got to ride behind people on the motorcycles though...lucky) called the Forum and ate. Sonja, Elaine and I walked around together. Had Mexican food (we all forgot completely about the ‘no raw vegetables’ thing but we haven’t gotten sick yet...) and some amazing gelato and surprisingly good coffee. On the streets you see beggars crawling along or coming up to cars, and little boxes or tents of rags along the walls. It’s so sad and surreal. I was very disappointed that I didn’t have my granola bars with me.

I’m beginning to feel achy and really hope I’m not sick tomorrow.

We’re not going to Veeranahalli anymore. I’m very disappointed. I know God will use me here though. I just wanted the opportunity to be in more of the village situation, with the kids and everything. I’d heard a lot about Veeranahalli. Now just the guys are going cause it’s more heavy labour and stuff.

Jarod lent me a motorbike magazine =P

7 April 08

I am sick now. Last night and this morning Elaine gave me Aspirin C (disgusting) and has been checking my temperature. I have a low fever, sore throat, and just generally muscle ache. I’m writing out verses in different translations for the walls. Hopefully by this afternoon Elaine will let me work. Mostly painting now.

There’s a guy, Paul (not Paul Uncle), who is the youth and worship leader and probably around 19. The girls call him Chutney because they think he stares all the time (which is true). The nickname came from the June trip actually. I think it’s a bit mean but it gets pretty funny when he walks in the room and everyone says “CHUTNEY!” and he has no clue.

Some more things we saw yesterday –

- temples

- a woman throwing up out of a bus

- Chinese tourists

- A Hindu lady at the church with her baby, whose birthday it was. They give candy and shake your hand on their birthdays. She went in the service too, and as the baby was passed around people prayed for and blessed her.

7:30 PM

After lying in bed all morning we had lunch and then painted all afternoon, singing Phantom like crazy. Kevin got ‘baptised’ with a bucket of pale sky blue paint spilled all over him. We’ve been calling today “Kevin day;” he’s so cute and the youngest and everybody’s favourite.

11 PM

We just had the funniest devo time. Elaine fell on the scrubbed floors and we found out Craig has dyed his hair (which was somehow very amusing). Then a gecko was under Elisabeth and Hannah as we prayed and they shrieked and jumped up. Also some of peoples “3 words description of the day” were funny (Scrub – it – again!).

Was encouraging too as we had to...encourage someone. I had been really noticing how caring and selfless Fiona was and was able to talk about that, having already been on my mind.

8 April 08

We planned our VBS thing for tomorrow morning and worked hard allllll day painting. I’m the official “edger” with a steady hand and overly obsessive neatness. Plus I like it. Sonja and I have been gridding the wall for verses.

Breakfast was VERY difficult to get down, several different kinds of mush, one spicy and one sweet, but I was able to (very literally) gag down most of it.

This evening we got names to write a letter of encouragement to someone.

9 April 08

Today we began painting the verses on the wall, which I enjoy, and I penciled the swirly things by the stencils and then touched up what people had painted on them. We’ve done quite a lot. In the morning we did the VBS after devotions, which was awesome.

There were well over 100 kids, all smiling and paying rapt attention. We taught them “My God is so Big,” I narrated the story of Joshua and Jericho while they acted it out with some of the kids, and then we taught them the Jericho song. We then did brief things about Jesus’ miracles in the NT as eyewitness accounts. Fiona then told them how it applied to their lives. The we sang the first song again and I prayed (was caught off guard for that and the translating was confusing).

The kids all participated and sang so well, and smiled and shook our hands, saying “auntie auntie auntie!!” It was the best part so far.

In the afternoon we went shopping. Sonja and I ran out of time for dinner and once we realised McDonald’s didn’t have beef, which Sonja wanted, we went to “Café Coffee Day” or something and each had three desserts and coffee. Hehe. Hey, we hadn’t had dessert all week.

In the last store we stopped at, my bill was 425 rupees (about 42 dhs) and the guy was like “The change, tip for him?” I was shocked, and being just Sonja and I in this store with 5 obnoxious guys, I had no clue what to do. First I said “What?!” Then “You didn’t actually do anything for us, sorry...we’ve been in here two minutes.” Then they just smiled and bobbles their heads, and not wanted to be mean (though that shouldn’t have been a worry, it was them who were!) I finally said “Ok, fine,” and we walked off. Of course they were probably sitting there going “we sure ripped them off nicely.” I should have showed them up but was too taken aback to know what to do. Oh well, maybe better.

Mani was so funny, waving frantically at each “white person” we saw. She also gave us all a good laugh on the way home by “sneezing” the yellow goop thing she had bought that day, each time we stopped beside a motorcycle (inevitably with two helmetless riders staring at us loud and foreign people). Their reactions were priceless.

Kevin is so adorable. He bought a kurta today (which are cool but most of the guys hate wearing them) and looks darling. We all told him so and then I asked if he minded, and he said “no, I like it.” Vashti said “Do you mind being called cute?” He replied with “I know I’m cute!” His crooked smile and constant optimism make us all love him. His mom was worried about him coming but he had about 12 mothers on the trip!!

11 April 08

We’re leaving today! I can’t believe it. I’m looking forward to the rest of the day and getting home and seeing Sunny, but not about going back to ‘real life.’

Yesterday was kind of hard for various reasons, and I was still feeling unwell and it was hard to concentrate. I spent all day painting verses on the wall, which killed and knotted up my shoulders but I enjoyed it. After lunch Paul Uncle gave his testimony (which was incredible) and we celebrated Vashti’s birthday. Then we all were given short kurta outfits which was lovely. Then we finished working. At that point I could have collapsed!
Sonja felt sick but stayed up for our celebratory dinner in the finished dining room. They had made western food which was amazing, plus these interesting Indian sweets which were surprisingly good and had silver dust on top.

Then we all answered three questions...here are my answers.

- What did God teach you about yourself this week? Joy through simply working and serving. A lot about how I view other people.

- What did God teach you about God this week? Kind of an extension on trust...that he’ll take care of every condition there seems to be if he tells you to do something, so you can do it boldly (which I learned through experience that week). Also in the devotions, that his wrath was SPENT on the cross, not just withdrawn. I just hadn’t seen it like that before.

- What is one thing you will never forget? The first beggar woman I saw, how striking and different and sad it was. Doing the VBS, and the gladness and love the kids had. The cute little Viking idol =P

Then we watched the footage of the trip. Today Sonja’s still a bit ill and Mili is as well but I’m mostly better. We will clean our rooms but now we have devotions for the last time with the church.

12 April 08

We’re home! Yesterday after devos we did the songs for the VBS again which was awesome. I love the love that comes from the kids. I’ll miss shaking three hands in each hand and being called auntie.

We cleaned the rooms, played games, touched things up, drank tea, had lunch, and had an evaluation and closing meeting.

Then we brought our stuff down and drove to the airport.

One of the aunties prayed over Sonja and I in her own language which was a great blessing and very interesting.

Looking back it was an amazing trip and experience. So much work and fun and learning. I know Sonja and Elaine much better, was able to do some things I needed to, saw India and its love and sadness and culture. Also Jarod went from being a nuisance to a brother =P

Elisabeth and I tricked our parents with nose ring stickers. I really want one now after being in India!!

Sunny has grown a ton while I was away and was apparently a little brat while I was gone. Still, she let me sleep last night and is the sweetest thing ever.

I may be remembering more about the trip in the future that I want to tell you guys about, but for now, signing off.

love, Cait

1 comment:

Kiwibob said...

Well, that was a long 3 part story. Sound like it was an awesome time though.

Nathan

...nose ring...nah, don't think it'll suit